Here are a few ideas which you can help your child with in preparation for starting school.
- Try to independently dress and undress myself and fasten and unfasten my shoes.
- Use the toilet with increasing independence.
- Use a knife and fork, with increasing skill, to feed myself.
- Listen to short stories and join in with familiar nursery rhymes.
- Ask an adult for help when I need it and follow a simple instruction.
- Recognise my name when someone calls me or when it is written down.
- Try to independently wash and dry your hands properly by yourself.
- Independently put on your coat and try to do it up.
Have a look at the 'Ready to start school' information leaflet below to find other ideas to help your child become ready for school.